This article is about how you can view Thunderbird emails with attachments. We will explain various methods that you can use to easily read your data without any problems. But first, let us talk about the Thunderbird program.
Today, millions of users use Mozilla Thunderbird. It is a cross-platform email program where you can use Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is free, open-source software that is easy to set up and customize. Additionally, Thunderbird also has some extensions that can do various things, such as importing and exporting files, extracting attachments, protecting passwords, etc. These extensions are also called addons.
To open Thunderbird emails, there is no built-in option for Import/Export Tools NG. This addon is used to import your file and view its content. However, you cannot see attachments this way. So, here we explain the different methods you can use to read Thunderbird attachments.
Methods to View Thunderbird Emails with Attachments
If you want to view the attachments of emails that are in the program you can simply open them. However, if you have files that are not in the program and you want to read them, then you have to extract the attachments. Due to this, you can only see attachments and not the email. Both methods have some flaws; therefore, a third-party tool is an effective way, as you can read your emails with attachments at the same time. So, there are three ways to read the emails and attachments of Thunderbird.
- Open attachments from email.
- Use the addon to read Thunderbird attachments.
- See both emails and attachments in the software.
Method 1: Open Attachment from Email in Thunderbird
Whenever you receive emails, you will notice a paper clip icon next to the email. This indicates that your email contains an attachment. Hence, if you have emails with paper clips attached, it is very easy to view the attachments.
- Open the email message that contains the attachment you want to see.
- At the bottom of the message, a summary of your attachment is shown.
- Click on the Save option and open the list of save options.
- Select the Open button, and the attachment will open.
- To read associated attachments Go to the Message, then Attachments, and Open all.
This method is only applicable if you have mail in Thunderbird. If you have files stored outside the program, then you have to use the next method.
Method 2: View Thunderbird Emails with Attachments using Addon
To see the content of the emails, use the import/export addon. For attachment, Attachment Extract Continued will be used. First, we have to import the file into the program and then extract the files. To download the add-ons, go to addons.thunderbird.net
- After installing the addons, import the file. Go to Tools, then Import/Export Tools.
- Click on the Import Mailbox option and import directly one or more mbox files. Press the OK button.
- Now, open your MBOX files that you have stored in Thunderbird. Now, to view the attachment.
- Right-click the mailbox file and select Extract All Attachments.
- Click on the Browse button and pick a folder to view your attachments.
- After that, press the OK button. Once the process is complete, go to the folder where you have stored the attachments and read them.
Limitations of Manual Methods
The above two methods are free but have a lot of issues while doing them, such as.
- The major drawback is that you only see attachments in one file at a time.
- The add-on is only used in versions 68.0 and 68.
- You can lose the quality of your attachments during the process.
- The process to read Thunderbird attachments is complicated for non-technical users.
Method 3: View Thunderbird Emails with Attachments using Software
Manual methods are not reliable. But a third-party tool is the best option. There are various software availble to view the MBOX file, one of them is FreeViewer MBOX Viewer Software. This software allows users to read their Thunderbird emails and attachments effortlessly. The software lets you directly view the data, which makes it very easy for technical or non-technical users. It also offers various features.
Features of Software
- You can view contacts, calendars, events, and other items.
- The software allows users to read normal, corrupted, and damaged files.
- It is available in almost all versions of Windows systems.
- You can read single as well as multiple files at the same time.
- Preview your files in HEX, RTF, HTML, attachments, properties, etc.
Steps to View Emails and Attachments in Software
- Download and open the software. Click on the Add File option.
- Select Thunderbird, and then Select file(s) or folder from the file system. Press the Next button.
- Browse the destination where you saved it and open it. Click on the Process button.
- To open the folder, click on the Use Folder mode and Maintain Folder Hierarchy options.
- Browse and open the folders, and then click on the Process option.
- Now, all the emails are displayed in front of you. Select the email and click Attachments to see them in the file.
Note: This software is not the only one that helps you to read Thunderbird emails and attachments. Others like Forensicsware Software that view MBOX file in very easy way.
So, in this article, we talk about the various methods to view Thunderbird emails with attachments. The manual methods are free and can do the work, but they have more limitations than advantages. However, the software method is a great one, as you don’t need Thunderbird to read the emails and attachments. Experts also recommend this method.